Sunday, September 07, 2008

MEMORIES...

A couple of weeks ago when we shot Kyle's senior session, we ended the evening at the bowling alley where Kyle's Vilonia High School team bowls. This brought back fond memories for both Ron and me.

Ron and I met in our 9th grade history class. Ron's family moved to our hometown of Blue Springs, MO that fall. On Saturday mornings, I bowled on a youth league and soon, Ron showed up with a friend. Ron had never bowled before but soon found that he loved it and had quite a talent for bowling. We still have a box of trophies in our attic from those days. Well this fun little activity allowed us to get to know one another and a friendship was forged. In those days, I was quite the wall flower, so to think that it was anything more than a friendship never once crossed my mind. Our paths would cross in the hallway at school, we would meet at the bowling alley during the week sometimes to practice bowl for our league on Saturday then people began asking questions. My answer was always "I don't know what you are talking about, we are friends!" Well, the long story short is, we were more than friends in his mind and he was determined to win me over. I didn't make it easy...

We dated through high school and walked graduation together. He went to work for the railroad the month after we graduated and I had plans for college in the fall. This was the summer of 1977. In July, that same summer, we shopped for an engagement ring, knowing full well that I needed to finish school before we even considered getting married. Well, my junior year, we decided that I was close enough to completion and we planned our wedding for December 1, 1979, Thanksgiving weekend. We didn't honeymoon until summer so that I would not miss a term of school and could finish "on time" with my degree in education.
So, when we walked into the bowling alley here in town, many, many memories came back. Ron and Kyle both bowled a line and I couldn't resist a few pictures of Ron! Somewhere in our image history there are images of this same type from those younger years...that will be a treasure hunt for another day!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"I'm NOT a BOY!" There's another bowling alley memory for you! Love you guys!!!

Unknown said...

"I'm NOT a BOY!" There's another bowling alley memory for you. hehe!! Love you guys!